Every year on 12 November, ‘World Pneumonia Day’ is observed to increase awareness about pneumonia disease. World Pneumonia Day was celebrated for the first time in the year 2009.
Most children suffer from pneumonia. However, this disease can happen to people of any age. Pneumonia causes infection in the lungs, leading to difficulty in breathing. If this disease is not treated at the right time, it can lead to life-threatening complications.
History of World Pneumonia Day!
The reason behind celebrating World Pneumonia Day is to create awareness so that children around the world can be saved from falling prey to it.
It was started in the year 2009 by the Global Coalition against Child Pneumonia Organization under the ‘Stop Pneumonia’ campaign.
What Is Pneumonia?
Pneumonia is an acute respiratory disease. The disease infects the lungs of a person, causing chest pain and difficulty in breathing.
What Is This Year’s Theme?
This year the theme of World Pneumonia Day is “Pneumonia Affects Everyone” to raise awareness globally.
Symptoms Of Pneumonia:
- High fever with chills
- Physical weakness
- Coughing up mucus
- Feeling weak
- Breathing Shortness
- Rapid pulse
Types Of Pneumonia
- Streptococcus pneumonia is the most common cause of bacterial pneumonia in children.
- Haemophilus Influenzae type B (Hib) is the second most common cause of bacterial pneumonia.
- The cause of pneumonia infection is the respiratory syncytial virus.
Who Needs To Be More Careful?
- This disease mostly occurs in children aged 5 years or less.
- Also, those whose immunity is weak, people suffering from nutritional deficiency, people suffering from any other serious illness, and the elderly are at higher risk.
- The infection can spread when a person suffering from pneumonia coughs or sneezes.
- Due to negligence in cleanliness or contaminated environment, the possibility of its spread also increases.
What Measures To Follow
To avoid this disease, pay special attention to cleanliness. But the most important thing is to get vaccinated against the disease as per the doctor’s advice. Apart from this, do not ignore any symptoms and get the test done immediately and consult a doctor.
What To Eat In Pneumonia
During pneumonia, efforts should be made to give only a balanced diet to the patient. Special care should be taken for the foods that increase the nutrition and immunity of the patient. Consuming protein-rich foods, such as eggs, fish, turmeric, ginger, and green leafy vegetables, is beneficial. However, expert advice in such cases is also necessary.
If we talk about treatment, colds and flu can be cured by medicines, doctors can recommend antibiotics. In serious conditions, it is advisable to take the patient to the hospital. But keep in mind that each patient’s clinical condition may be different, so the treatment may also be different, so pay attention to the doctor’s advice. Apart from this, take special care of children and the elderly.