World Heart Day is an event that is observed every year on September 29 since the year 2000. The main objective of spreading awareness about cardiovascular diseases, their warning signs and effective measures one can take to combat them, and ways to help people suffering from heart ailments. Every year, 18.6 million people die from cardiovascular diseases (CVD) including stroke, which is more than the mortality caused due to HIV, malaria, and cancer. To effectively manage this condition, the World Heart Federation (WHF), in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO) organized this event to pay attention to cardiac-related illness and the range of Associated Health Issues.
Active Measures To Keep Your Heart Healthy
- Get More Active – On this World Heart Day, promise your heart to keep it healthy by getting more active. You should make a promise to exercise regularly, take a brisk walk for at least 40 minutes, start jogging/running and do yoga exercises. Getting active not only helps you to stay in shape but also keeps your heart healthy.
- Say No To Tobacco – Consumption of tobacco in any form is injurious to your health. Statistically, the consumption of tobacco accounts for 6 million deaths every year. The chemicals present in tobacco, like nicotine, damage the heart and the blood vessels, causing an increase in heart rate and blood pressure. Thus, make a promise to quit tobacco use on this World Heart Day.
- Eat Healthy Food – Keep your heart fit by eating more healthy food. It is recommended that you eat healthy food items like green vegetables, fish, salads, fruits, nuts, and some less salt, oil, and sugar. Eating healthy keeps you enthusiastic, cheerful, and light-headed. A heart-healthy diet also takes care of your heart by lowering the cholesterol levels in your body.
- Improve Quality Of Life – Stress and tension are common problems in today’s generation, which are also the causes of heart-related are said that chronic stress increases the heart rate and blood pressure, which is harmful to your heart. Make a promise on this World Heart Day to implement relaxation techniques such as breathing exercises and meditation to reduce stress, which in turn can improve the quality of your life.
- Take Medicines On Time – Many people in the world are suffering from one or the other heart-related diseases. Many have undergone some surgical process or have been advised by their doctors to take medicines on regular basis. These people should make a promise on this World Heart Day to follow their doctor’s advice and to take the prescribed medicines on time.