Yudhishthira era, Kaliyuga era, and Saptarshi era were prevalent when Vikram Samvat did not start. The Saptarshi Samvat started in 3076 BCE while the Kaliyuga Samvat started in 3102 BCE. Yudhishthira Samvat also started during this period. Everyone’s Samvat used to start with Chaitra Pratipada, but other things were not clear. Explanation of Vaar, Nakshatra, and This was done in Vikram Samvat. In this, along with the things of Panchang, the calculation of Jupiter’s year was also included.
Let us know how Vikram Samvat started:
- King Vikramaditya was known as a justice-loving ruler who took care of the interests of his subjects. During the period of Vikramaditya, a large part of India, including Ujjain, was ruled by foreign Shakas. These people were very cruel. He always used to give trouble his subjects. King Vikramaditya established his rule by freeing the whole of India from the atrocities of the doubters and gave a fear-free life to the people. As a memory of this victory, King Vikramaditya constructed the Vikram Samvat Panchang. After this, the Shaka era started in 78 AD, which unfortunately is today considered the national era of India.
- Vikram Samvat was started in 57 AD in the name of King Vikramaditya of Ujjain. Although the new year begins at the end of the month of Falgun, after the end of the Krishna Paksha, the day on which Pratipada occurs at sunrise in the Shukla Paksha of Chaitra month, Nav Samvatsara is believed to start from the same day. This day is known by many other names including Gudi Padwa in other parts of India. There have been many scholars in the country who consider Vikram Samvat to be initiated by King Vikramaditya of Ujjain. The commencement of this era is confirmed by the book Jyotirvidabharan, which was written in 3068 Kali i.e. 34 BCE. According to this, Vikramaditya started the Vikram Samvat in 3044 Kali i.e. 57 BC. Apart from this, the column of Barnala of the 3rd century, on which it is also clear from the writing that Vikram Samvat has been prevalent since then.
- According to Vikram Samvat, Vikramaditya happened 2293 years ago today. The emperor Vikramaditya of Jain was also the Chakravarti emperor. Vikramaditya’s name was Vikram Sen. The stories of Vikram Vetal and Throne Battisi are associated with the great emperor Vikramaditya. Emperor Vikramaditya was born in 101 BC after 3000 years of the Kali period. He ruled for 100 years. – (Gita Press, Gorakhpur Bhavishyapuran, page 245).
- Vikramaditya was famous for his wisdom, valor, and generosity in whose court the Navratnas resided. It is said that Vikramaditya was very mighty and he defeated the Shakas.
- It is said that Vikramaditya’s brother Bhartrihari ruled in Malwa. During the reign of Bhartriharita, the invasion of Shako increased. When Bhartrihari renounced the kingdom by imbibing detachment, Vikramasena took over the rule and in 57-58 BC he first drove the Shakas out of his rule. In memory of this, he started the expansion of his kingdom by starting Vikram Samvat. Vikramaditya launched a great campaign to liberate the land of India from foreign rulers and hoisted the flag of his kingdom over the whole of India. It is said that he had re-formed his army. His army had become the world’s most powerful army, which by running a campaign in all directions of India, liberated India from foreigners and tyrannical kings and established an umbrella rule.
- According to Kalhana’s ‘Rajatarangini’, around 14 AD, there was chaos in Kashmir after the death of King Hiranya of the Andhra Yudhishthira dynasty childless. Seeing this, on the advice of the ministers there, King Vikramaditya of Ujjain sent Matrugupta to take over the kingdom of Kashmir. According to the Nepali dynasty, there is a mention of King Vikramaditya of Ujjain coming to Nepal during the time of King Anshuvarman of Nepal (1st century BC). The description of King Vikram is found in the texts of Sanskrit, Prakrit, Ardhmagadhi, Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Bangla, etc. languages of India. Many stories of his valor, generosity, kindness, forgiveness, etc. are filled in Indian literature. But an attempt has been made to suppress their history under a conspiracy.