Joe Jonas was allegedly holding the children’s passports when Sophie Turner filed a lawsuit against him. On September 5, the couple, who had been married for four years, filed for divorce.
Singer Joe Jonas has reacted after actor and ex-wife Sophie Turner sued him for preventing the return of their daughters to her native England. People.com published a statement that was attributed to Joe’s agent. Sophie Turner claimed in the lawsuit that Joe had the children’s passports in his possession. Willa, age three, and a second daughter, who is 14 months old, are Joe and Sophie’s two daughters.
“Joe was going to file for divorce, Sophie knew that”
According to the statement, which People obtained, “Joe started the divorce process in Florida since Florida is the proper jurisdiction for the matter after several conversations with Sophie. Joe’s intention to divorce was known to Sophie. A Florida court has previously issued a ruling preventing both parents from moving the kids. This order was delivered to Sophie on September 6, 2023, which was more than two weeks ago.
The statement continued, “Joe and Sophie met amicably this past Sunday in New York when Sophie travelled there to be with the kids. Since that encounter, they have been by her side. Joe left the meeting with the notion that they had agreed to cooperate in order to establish a harmonious co-parenting arrangement.
“Sophie said she wanted to move her family permanently to the UK.”
The statement said, “Sophie informed that she wished to take the children permanently to the UK less than 24 hours after the “amicable co-parenting setup” was agreed upon. She then demanded in this petition that Joe provide her with the children’s passports so she could promptly remove them from the country. Joe will be in breach of the Florida Court’s injunction if he complies.
“The kids weren’t kidnapped,”
According to the report, Joe is “seeking shared parenting with the kids so that they are raised by both their mother and father and is, of course, also okay with the kids being raised both in the US and the UK.” The youngsters “have spent the vast majority of their lives in the US,” it was further said. “This is a terrible legal dispute involving a marriage that is sadly coming to an end. When terms like “abduction” are employed, it is at best deceptive and at worst a grave abuse of the judicial system. The message also said that the kids had not been kidnapped.
The kids are now with their mother after spending the previous three months in Joe’s custody with both sides’ consent. The claim, it continued, is solely intended to transfer the divorce procedures to the UK and to permanently remove the kids from the US.
“Joe has previously renounced any and all remarks that were allegedly made in Sophie’s defence on his behalf. They were created without his consent and do not align with his beliefs. He hopes Sophie would rethink her stringent legal stance and take a more positive and private path. The welfare of his children is his primary priority, the statement said. Following a four-year marriage, Sophie and Joe filed for divorce on September 5.