Infosys is a global leader in next-generation digital services and consulting. They enable clients in more than 50 countries to navigate their digital transformation. With over three decades of experience in managing the systems and workings of global enterprises, they expertly steer our clients through their digital journey. They do it by enabling the enterprise with an AI-powered core that helps prioritize the execution of change. They also empower the business with agile digital at scale to deliver unprecedented levels of performance and customer delight. Their always-on learning agenda drives their continuous improvement through building and transferring digital skills, expertise, and ideas from our innovation ecosystem. Infosys became the fourth Indian company to cross $100 billion in market capitalization
Infosys was founded by seven engineers in Pune, Maharashtra, India. Its initial capital was dollar 250, It was registered as Infosys Consultants Private Limited on 2 July 1981. In 1983, it relocated to Bangalore, Karnataka.
The company changed its name to Infosys Technologies Private Limited in April 1992 and Infosys Technologies Limited when it became a public limited company in June 1992. On 28 July 2010, the then-British Prime Minister David Cameron visited Infosys HQ in Bangalore and addressed Infosys employees. It was renamed Infosys Limited in June 2011.
In 2012, Infosys announced a new office in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to serve Harley-Davidson. Infosys hired 1,200 United States employees in 2011 and expanded the workforce by 2,000 employees in 2012. In April 2018, Infosys announced expanding in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Facts About The Infosys
- In 1981, Narayana Murthy borrowed Rs 10,000 from his wife to start Infosys with 6 of his colleagues from his past employer, Patni Computer Systems. Although the registered office was N S Raghavan’s house, the front room of Narayana Murthy’s home became their first office.
- Until 1983, Infosys did not have a computer. Murthy could not afford to import Data General 32-bit, a computer that he liked. It took them almost 2 years to get a computer.
- Knowing that Narayana Murthy is one of the founders of Infosys Ltd, you might think he was the first employee. N S Raghavan was the first employee. Murthy took about a year to finish all his tasks at Patni Computer Systems and then join Infosys.
- In 1989, Infosys’ joint venture with a US partner Kurt Salmon Associates collapsed. During the same time, one of the co-founders, Ashok Arora, quit. Hence, Narayana Murthy stepped in and took charge of the company. The rest of the co-founders stuck with him till the end. No one had an idea that Infosys Ltd would become an IT service giant.
- In 1999, Infosys Limited’s revenue touched 100 dollars and became the first Indian IT company to get listed on the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations (NASDAQ), a global electronic marketplace for buying and selling securities. At the time, Infosys was among the 20 biggest companies by market capitalization on NASDAQ.
- The Infosys Global Education center in Mysore has more than 200 classrooms, 400 instructors, a gym, a swimming pool, a multiplex, and much more that is spread over 370 acres of land. It is the largest in the world.