Irfan Pathan, a former Team India all-rounder, celebrates his birthday today. Irfan Pathan was born on this date in 1984 in the Gujarat city of Vadodara. Irfan Pathan grew up playing cricket with his brother Yusuf Pathan, and both brothers earned spots on Team India.
On his 38th birthday, let’s take a look at more interesting things related to Irfan’s life.
How did Sourav Ganguli recognize Irfan’s Talent When he was Just 19?
When Irfan Pathan was playing Under-19 cricket against Pakistan, Sourav Ganguly’s eyes fell on his cricket skills. He used to be the captain of Team India at that time. He then approached the selectors of the team and within a few days, Irfan Pathan reached Australia from Pakistan and became a member of the Indian cricket team.
Irfan Took a Hat-Trick Against Pakistan
Irfan Pathan used to get excited after seeing Pakistan and used to perform strongly against them. Irfan made history in the 2006 Test match played in Karachi, Pakistan. He took a hat trick in the just first over of the test match.
He dismissed Salman Butt, Younis Khan, and Mohammad Yousuf. After the example of his swing presented by Irfan in this match, he was called the Sultan of the second swing after Wasim Akram. He became the first bowler to take a hat-trick in the first over of a Test match.
Irfan’s Career Journey
- Irfan Pathan is one of India’s most prolific wicket-takers, having taken 100 wickets in the Test format and another 173 wickets in the ODI format of the sport.
- Irfan was mentored by former Indian captain Datta Gaekwad.
- Irfan only got his first full cricket set when he played for the Baroda U-15 team.
- He holds the double record of the fastest 1,000 runs and the fastest to 100 wickets in ODI cricket. He is the fastest Indian bowler to reach 100 wickets in the ODI format of the game.
- His international career has been marred by injuries like the 2011 knee injury.
- He retired from international cricket in 2012 and from all forms of cricket in 2020. He began his acting career with 2022’s Cobra, which saw reviewers praise his performance.
- Irfan Pathan is only one of three bowlers to score a hat-trick in Test cricket. His opening over in the 2006 Karachi Test saw Pakistan being 0/3 by the end of the over.
- His elder brother Yusuf Pathan is also a cricketer. The two played together in many matches including in the ICC World T20 2007 Finals, where India lifted the trophy.
- Irfan has played in multiple IPL squads including Kings XI Punjab, Delhi Daredevils, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Chennai Super Kings, Rising Pune Supergiants, and Gujarat Lions.
- Irfan married Hyderabad-based model Safa Baig in 2016 in Mecca. They have two sons.