During Imlie’s shooting, a lightman was electrocuted and passed away while travelling to the hospital. AICWA has now urged action against the manufacturers for their disregard for safety.
Mahendra Yadav, a 23-year-old labourer who worked as a lightboy on the sets of the Hindi television programme Imlie, passed away from electrocution there. All Indian Cine Workers Association (AICWA) has requested Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde to take legal action against the TV station Star Plus and the show’s producer Gul Khan for disobeying safety precautions on the sets. AICWA has also asked for a 50 lakh compensation payment to the deceased’s relatives. Imlie’s filming location is in Goregaon.
AICWA president Suresh Shyamlal Gupta responded to the incident in a social media video and called for legal action against Imlie’s creators, Gul Khan and PH 4 Lion Films, as well as the network that broadcasts the programme. The AICWA chief stated that the managing director and commissioner of Film City should resign in addition to calling for compensation.
Following the disaster, filming for Imlie has been put on hold. According to a report in the ETimes, Mahendra was electrocuted and was taken to a neighbouring hospital, but he passed while the route.
AICWA chief calls for Film City MD’s resignation
“Administrators act as though moviegoers are harmless insects who don’t require any safety precautions. On sets, they have never taken any action to ensure safety and security. They consistently disregard dangers to their safety. Future deaths will also increase significantly as a result of this. Who will assume the obligation? Therefore, in my capacity as the head of AICWA, I demand the immediate resignation of the Film City MD and other officers who are in charge of guaranteeing safety on the TV show’s set.
“More incidents like this will occur”
He also claimed in his article that the “producer, production company, and channel of the show failed to maintain safety on the sets, which is why the worker lost his life.” He continued by saying that incidents like this frequently occur in Film City, where victims have perished from electrocution, leopard attacks, and set fires.
“And all of this is happening because there is no safety being maintained on the set,” Suresh Shyamlal Gupta continued. Since yesterday, significant efforts have been undertaken to keep this issue quiet. Several incidents in the film industry are kept under wraps thanks to the administration’s full participation. The government is not taking any significant action, and no production company or television network is insuring the security of the shooting locations. These production companies, producers, and channels disregard all regulations and enjoy the full support of several officials.